"Fathers and Sons Teaming Together"
Provides fathers and their sons between the ages of 10 to 16, the support and guidance needed to build healthy social, emotional and supportive educational learning experiences in a manner that supports them developing into healthy men with the critical understanding that this journey is the process of building a nurturing relationship a son is to have with his father.
Designed to promote the unique relationship between a father and his son through challenging adventurous social and educational activities both indoor and outdoor in support of preserving shared memories that are sure to last a lifetime.
Develop an engagement practice that nurture's excellence in adult and youth relationships.
Employ practical strategies designed to encourage fathers and their sons to reach their leadership, social, emotional and historical potential.
Offer a set of developmental tasks relating to academic, physical, cognitive, self-care, social, and emotional benchmarks through which the fathers and sons will demonstrate progress as a part of a growth and development scale.
Help describe behaviors that inspire and challenge the fathers and their sons to become life-long learners.
Embrace transformative engagements and measure elements on the belief that all young people should have access to safe places and caring adults who help them grow socially, athletically, emotionally and academically.
THEORY OF CHANGE
What exists in the father and son's relationship today; and what is the current climate of that link?
What areas of growth and development will be focused on by the father and son?
What will the father and son yield during this process?
Our goal is to strengthen the bonds between fathers and sons and promote positive, healthy relationships
ELEMENTS OF ENGAGEMENT
Studies show that if your child's father is affectionate, supportive, and involved, he can contribute significantly to his son's cognitive, language, and social development, as well as academic achievement, a high inner core resource, sense of well-being, good self-esteem, and authenticity (Gross, 2014)
- Aligning the supports needed to assist in the delivery of their personal experiences
- Taking on this role seriously with the desire and power to learn and develop healthy positive skills and relationships.
- Mentor, coach and provide guidance on to becoming a successful adult.
- Be supportive during challenging times by offering age-appropriate, structured activities in a nurturing environment.
- Develop one's direction, guidance, self-confidence and power to make effective changes
- Create valuable and positive change with the end goal of developing leaders that will enhance the motivation, morale and performance of followers
- Provide opportunities to develop an understanding of rules by engaging in activities that rely on chance rather than on skills such as cards, dominoes, tic-tac-toe.
- Learn from what you did to solve the problem and evaluate with the merits of each possible solution.
- Cultivate responsive relationship needs as it relates to the growth, plight of achievement
- Reinforce the understanding of right and wrong and consequences as you learn to gradually share the control of life
- Be open-minded and recognize your role with strengthening everyone's competency.
- Engage in conversations, ask questions, listen to new ideas and demonstrate understanding
ELEMENTS OF TRANSFORMATION
- Structured Learning Experiences: for middle & high school age boys.
- Fathers and sons will take part in “Structured Learning Experiences” (SLE), means an experiential, supervised, in-depth learning experience designed to offer fathers and their sons the opportunity to more fully explore life lessons and personal interests within one or more settings.
- Collaboration and Partnership: with community organizations to inform and support project objectives for fathers and sons.
- Fathers and sons will build collaborative partnerships in the community that will embrace their ideas and actions by consenting to share resources to accomplish mutual goals relying on participation by them in a manner that builds up and cares for one another.
- Expanded Horizons; are monthly excursions intended to open the minds of fathers and sons for more significant opportunities.
- Fathers and sons will be exposed to a higher activity of learning; colleges and universities, governmental operations, businesses engagements, community events so that they together become aware of social and educational resources and options.
- Training/Workshops: offer focused examination of the father and sons personal and social challenges that can lead to self-confidence, positive social and emotional behaviors, and empowerment.
- Fathers and sons get into action, practicing behaviors and styles of communication that augment their growth and inspire them to reach beyond their perceived limits.
- Annual Retreat: includes team-building, self-esteem enhancement, developmental and recreational activities.
- Fathers and sons will plan and gather together to participate in four (4) individual events that will have endured in-depth evaluation and discovery of their identity. We do this through the vehicles of outdoor adventure outing, service learning projects, sports/recreation and educational study.
- Individualized Consideration
Mentor listens and attends to the girls’ concerns and needs. The Mentor gives empathy and support, keeps communication open and places challenges before the girls.
- Intellectual Stimulation
Mentor challenges assumptions, takes risks and solicits girls’ ideas. Mentor stimulates and encourages creativity in their girls. They nurture and develop girls to think independently as well as collectively.
- Inspirational Motivation
Mentor articulates a vision that is appealing and inspiring to girls. Mentor inspires, motivates, and challenges girls with high standards, communicates optimism about future goals, and provides meaning for the task at hand.
- Idealized Influence
Mentor acts as a role model for high ethical behavior, instills pride, gains respect and trust. The Mentor provides the energy that drives a group forward. The visionary aspects are supported by communication skills that make the vision understandable, precise, powerful and engaging to the girls.